When you live in a hot and humid climate like Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, the beautiful beaches and the towering palm trees become a major part of your picture perfect paradise. Unfortunately, no paradise is perfect, no matter how many mosquito zappers you purchase. That’s why preventative pest control is so important to protecting your home and family from an infestation, especially in a location like Laurel, Florida, where the pests attack like predators.
Avoid the Attacking Ants
The two most common ants found in the area are the carpenter ant and the fire ant.
Carpenter ants are usually black, red or a combination of both colors, depending on the specific species. While carpenter ants can bite, they don’t carry venom or typically attack humans like the fire ant. Their danger to humans is that they like to nest in wood and can cause significant structural damage that becomes costly.
Unlike the carpenter ant, a fire ant will attack humans. Fire ants have four distinct teeth in the jaw. Their antennae have 10 segments, ending with a two-segmented club. The gaster, which is the black bulbous part of the abdomen, contains a stinger at the end of it that fires venom. The rest of the fire ant’s body is red or brown.
Top Signs of Ant Infestation
- Piles of wood shavings, debris and dead insects outside nests
- Exposed food has been taken over by rummaging ants
- Traces of ant trails found around the home, especially in kitchens and bathrooms
- Take Control of the Tunneling Termites
Not only do termites cause more structural damage than carpenter ants, which amounts to more than $5 billion annually, but they’re also harder to get rid of. Of all the species found in Florida, subterranean termites are the most likely to invade your home. Underground termite colonies sometimes have millions of termites that travel through tubes above the ground and into your home. Considering that most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover termite damage, it’s vital to either prevent an infestation or take control of it right away.
Top Signs of Termite Infestation
- Presence of mud-like tubes and tunnels that line the galleries
- Noticeable damage to wood – structural or materials inside the home
- Discarded wings of ‘swarmers’ found around the home
- Repel the Rodents From Your Home
They scurry in a hurry when you notice them, but rodents aren’t as easy to contain as you’d think. When you consider many rodents carry diseases and contaminate food supplies, including mice and rats, it’s especially important to contact pest control if you notice signs of an infestation.
Top Signs of Rodent Infestation
- Droppings found around food packages, under the sink and in the cupboards
- Signs of chewing on food packaging
- Nesting material like shredded paper and fabric found around the home
For more information about the residential and commercial pest control services Hoskins Pest Control provides in Laurel, Florida, and the surrounding communities, contact us at (888) 834-4579. Our aim is to ensure your home is free from and protected against pests, and we look forward to proving why we’re the best in the business at succeeding.